An explosion that started a major fire at a waste facility in Australia is believed to have been caused by aerosol cans.
Authorities said the fire at Veolia’s liquid treatment plant at Kilburn in Adelaide broke out at around 10.20am local time on 2 August. The aerosols were being transported via forklift at the time.
Around 35 firefighters attended the scene and contained the blaze within 10 minutes. The forklift driver was taken to hospital as a precaution. Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) Commander Greg Davis said: “He’s OK, he’s a little bit shaken but the ambos have had a look up at him as well. He’s going to go to hospital just for some check-ups.”
The MFS said it appeared that an aerosol can was pierced and ignited sawdust while being moved by a forklift. The Environment Protection Authority assessed the damage at around $300,000 (€181,000).