A mother from Missouri in the US is warning people to take note of cautions printed on aerosol cans after a dry shampoo can exploded in her daughter’s car. Christine Debrecht posted on Facebook that thankfully no one was in the car when the can of Equate Tea Tree Dry Shampoo exploded in the Honda Civic, shooting straight through the sunroof.
According to a report by NBC News, photos posted by Debrecht on social media show debris in the car and a huge hole in the where the sunroof used to be. The aerosol can is said to have landed 50 feet away from the car. Debrecht’s Facebook post read: “I just want to remind you (and your kids) to heed those warnings on products you may be using.
“Please don’t leave aerosol cans (especially dry shampoo, as this seems to be an issue with some brands) in your car! I am so grateful that no one was hurt.”
Debrecht spoke to NBC News affiliate KSDK in St. Louis and said that the damage was so extensive, she and her daughter couldn’t initially work out what had caused it. She said: “We thought something fell down from the sky, but the glass was going out so we know that wasn’t the case.”
The company behind the Equate Tea Tree Dry Shampoo Product, Walmart, said in a statement: “Equate Dry Shampoo includes a specific warning, like most aerosol products, that it may explode if heated and not stored as directed.”