A driver accidentally blew up his car when he lit a cigarette after spraying an air freshener inside the vehicle. The incident, which took place in Yorkshire, UK, caused the car windows to shatter, as well as the car door and boot to buckle. The driver escaped with minor injuries.
According to a report by The Mirror, police said the male driver sprayed the air freshener inside the parked car, but when he lit a cigarette the aerosol can exploded. Witnesses say the driver managed to climb out of the mangled car on his own.
A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police said: “Shortly after 3pm [Saturday] afternoon, Fountain St, Halifax had to be closed due to an exploded aerosol can.
“The owner of a car parked on that street had used an air freshener can but not ventilated his car before lighting his cigarette. The fumes exploded and blew out his windscreen, along with some windows at nearby business premises.
“The owner fortunately sustained only minor injuries but this could have been worse. Please can members of the public be careful and follow guidelines when using air freshener cans. The police and fire service have finished their investigation and the road is now reopened.”